- This event has passed.
This Is / Is This a City: Project Discussion and Knitting Demonstration
October 23, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm PDT
Artist, Amy Wike, will discuss her practice, her project – This Is / Is This a City, invite you to submit your own morse code description to the project, and a provide a simple knitting tutorial.
For Portland TextileX Month’s New Traditions Festival, artist Amy Wike is collecting descriptions of Portland (the good, the bad, and the ugly) directly from current residents and combining these with formal descriptions of the city throughout the years — from newspaper headlines, travel sites, archival documents, etc. Using her practice of knitting in Morse Code, the piece takes shape as she knits the transcript of each voice or source in a new color. The overall pattern that emerges will be truly unique to this city, this moment, and these people. Spurred by recent discussions around Portland’s identity after a tumultuous year, this piece is meant to encourage conversation and exploration of questions such as: who and what speaks for a city in our modern world? How do we form an identity for a city and how do we attempt to articulate it?
All in-person events must follow the COVID-19 Guidelines below:
- Vaccination is required for in-person events. Organizers may request proof of vaccination at their discretion.
- Please wear a mask at all times, indoors and outdoors.
- Social distancing is required at both indoor and outdoor venues.
- If you are feeling sick, please stay home.
- For more information and on Oregon’s COVID-19 recommendations please refer to the CDC guidelines.